CUPE Local Unions in the CBO Sector have received notice of a founding meeting to establish a sector committee from among CUPE Local Unions. The meeting will be held on November 5 to 6, 2019 in Regina.
There are approximately 31 CUPE Local Unions across Saskatchewan in the community-based organizations (CBO) sector. By joining together in a CBO Sector Committee, locals in this sector can coordinate campaigns, participate in political action on shared goals and initiatives, and act as a united voice at a provincial level.
What is a CBO Sector Committee?
CUPE Local Unions can decide to form a sector committee (also known as a steering
committee or provincial sectoral group) that allows for locals in a particular sector across the province to join together in a coordinated body to advance common interests and objectives for their membership.
Why hold a Founding Meeting?
In order to establish a CBO Sector Committee, a Founding Meeting must be held to establish bylaws that determine how such a committee would operate, to decide the affiliation levy (also referred to as the dues rate) each local would pay to fund the activities of the committee on an on-going basis, and to elect members to serve on the Executive Board of the committee to begin its activities.
What happens at the Founding Meeting?
- Delegates sent by each CUPE Local Union decide if they agree collectively to establish a sector committee.
- Determine the structure and guidelines of how this sector committee would operate,by discussing and voting on bylaws.
- Set the affiliation levy (also referred to as dues rate) each local would be asked to pay each month to join the committee.
- Hold elections for the first Executive Board of the CBO Sector Committee.
TO REGISTER: Send completed Registration Forms into the CUPE Saskatchewan Office by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please register by: Friday, October 25, 2019
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS WERE INCLUDED WITH THE FOUNDING MEETING NOTICE:
1. Notice of Founding Meeting on November 5 and 6, 2019
2. Registration Form
3. Proposed Bylaws of the “CUPE CBO Workers of Saskatchewan”
4. Explanation of the Proposed Bylaws
5. Small Local Assistance Form
/nm Cope 342