This page is dedicated to providing updates and resources for CUPE Local Unions in Saskatchewan during the COVID-19 outbreak to ensure members remain safe, take necessary precautions and have the support of their union.
LATEST PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED MEASURES:
The Government of Saskatchewan declared a provincial State of Emergency on March 18, 2020 – giving the government broad powers to address the COVID-19 pandemic. The government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Health Officer, also made a number of new orders to reduce the risk to Saskatchewan people, prevent transmission and ensure that acute care services are preserved for residents most at risk for severe illness.
The following measures are effective immediately:
- Public gatherings larger than 50 people are prohibited.
- All restaurants, bars and event venues must limit their seating to 50 per cent of capacity or up to a maximum of fifty people, whichever is lesser. All must be able to ensure social distance of one to two metres between customers. Retail spaces including grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations are exempted from this policy but must have processes to maintain a one to two metre separation.
Additional information: Public Health Agency of Canada, Risk-informed decision making for mass gatherings during COVID-19.
There is an increased risk of more severe outcomes for Canadians 65 and over, and those with compromised immune systems or underlying medical conditions.
- No one should attend visit an assisted living, long-term care or health-care facility if ill, with the exception of seeking medical attention.
- Everyone should model social distancing (i.e. no handshakes, hugs, kisses).
- Everyone should follow proper hand/cough hygiene.
- Persons at higher risk, for example those over 65 or anyone with underlying medical conditions, should reconsider attending mass gatherings and international travel at this time.
Publish health assessment and advice is accessible in Saskatchewan through HealthLine 811.
- Government of Saskatchewan COVID-19 website for updates, resources and guidelines: www.saskatchewan.ca/government/health-care-administration-and-provider-resources/treatment-procedures-and-guidelines/emerging-public-health-issues/2019-novel-coronavirus
- Government of Canada COVID-19 website: www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
- Employment Insurance (EI) Sickness Benefits: www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html
CUPE SASKATCHEWAN RESOURCES FOR LOCALS:
- BRIEFING NOTE (published March 18, 2020): Speedy amendments to Saskatchewan’s employment law passed providing job-protected leave during COVID-19 pandemic and removes doctor note requirements retroactive to March 6, 2020
- March 19, 2020 – Statement: CUPE stands with you during provincial state of emergency to reduce COVID-19 transmission
- March 16, 2020 – Statement: CUPE members in Saskatchewan on the front-line of the COVID-19 pandemic have the support of their Union
CUPE NATIONAL RESOURCES FOR LOCALS:
- CUPE will be posting updates as they become available on the CUPE National website at: www.cupe.ca/covid-19
/nm cope 342