Prairie South School Division has announced plans to start the 2020-21 school year off with a reduction of Facility Operators at six Moose Jaw schools and two other school board facilities.
But a pandemic is the worst time to be cutting custodial services in our schools.
Appropriate sanitation and cleanliness are critical to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Any school division that cuts corners on cleaning place our children, staff, and the community at greater risk of an outbreak.
Why is Prairie South School Division doing the opposite?
The school division is cutting just over 20 hours of custodial services a day. Full time positions are being reduced to part time.
That amounts to 20 hours a day that would be otherwise used to clean the surfaces ensuring students and school workers are kept safe.
Custodial staff will have significantly fewer hours but will be expected to clean the same area with more stringent guidelines in place. The math doesn’t add up.
IMPACTED SCHOOLS INCLUDE:
AE Peacock, Riverview, Central, Prince Arthur, Westmount, William Grayson and the 9th Avenue Board Office and Maintenance Building.
These reductions will take effect August 15, 2020.
We need to ensure proper staffing levels to keep students and our community safe.
Cutting corners on our school’s hygiene will leave students, staff and the community at risk.
Anyone who is concerned about what this means for our students and community are encouraged to contact your school board trustee and MLA.
Related media coverage:
- CBC Saskatchewan (Aug 10, 2020): Moose Jaw schools cut custodial staff as students set to return during pandemic
- PressProgress (Aug 5, 2020): Saskatchewan Schools Cutting Back On Cleaning Staff As Students Head Back to Class During a Pandemic
Related articles from CUPE:
- Prairie South School Division announces plans to reduce custodial services for the 2020-21 school year (June 2, 2020)
Tell Prairie South School Division: Don’t Cut School Cleaning!
- DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION: TONY BALDWIN
- MR. GREG LAWRENCE, MLA for Moose Jaw-Wakamow
- MR. WARREN MICHELSON, MLA for Moose Jaw North
/ n.m. cope 342